Mostly known for his work as a fine artist, Nikolai Makarov was born in 1953 in Moscow. After studies at the Institute for Foreign Languages in Moscow in 1969-1972, he started to work at MOSFILM Studio. In 1975 he became a member of Non-conformist Art group in Moscow and moved to East Berlin, where he continued with his studies firstly at Humboldt University in Berlin and later at Academy of Arts in Vienna, Austria in atelier of Werner Kiemke. In 1988 he was admitted as member of Artists House, Austrian Society of Fine Arts. The same year he co-directed The Name-Day/Den angela with Sergei Selyanov. He lives and works in Berlin.
- Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave from the Grave, 2006; (in production), (executive producer)
- Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis, 2005; (in production), (executive producer)
- Sacre du printemps, Le, 2004; (body painter and actor)
- Masked and Anonymous, 2003; (co-producer)
- The Name-Day/Den angela, 1988; (director)